Activity & Discussion: Social Media Trends
1. Which platforms have decreased since last year? Suggest explanations for these trends.
Pinterest has decreased whereas Instagram has increased, both sites are similar and it’s clear that Instagram is more favoured. Instagram has also surpassed Blogspot and Twitter, decreasing the platforms down a spot. Snapchat has decreased, with its period of popularity shying away upon its introduction.
2. Which new platforms have been added to the statistics?
The new platform includes Tinder, coming in at 11th.
Activity: Facebook Engagement
1. Find an example of a successful Facebook business page.
Worn out Wares
– What factors did you take into account to consider it successful?
The Facebook business page has a total of 1,437 likes, has 5 star reviews and pleasant comments on the business service/product.
– How does the author create engagement?
The author posts about up and coming events, discount offers, the products available and mentions clients happy stories.
2. Find a poor example of a poor Facebook business page.
– What factors did you take into account to consider it poor?
The Facebook page is no longer active. there have been no visits within this week, the name can be misleading (does not describe the business) and has the standard ’83 likes’.
– What mistakes is the author making?
The author is not engaging with it’s audience and is no longer an active member.
Activity: Facebook Business Page
Create a Facebook business page
Add a cover image, profile image and several photos
Share your page with the group
List 5 other tips for LinkedIn
– Ask contacts to endorse you on your top skills
– Accept all LinkedIn requests to help you get found
– Hit character limit to get as much out about you as possible
– Don’t feel the need to include all past employment if it doesn’t contribute to the brand message presented
– If you have a business card, add your LinkedIn profile to the points of contact
Locate 3 LinkedIn profiles that you find inviting to read. What are the characteristics of these profiles that make them inviting?
– http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tully-smyth/2a/159/900 / I find this profile inviting because of the collection of interesting experience
– http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marty-smiley/12/558/654 / I find this profile inviting because of the industry he is involved in
– http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lois-shaw/a8/475/3a0 / I find this profile inviting because of the appropriate profile image and her events knowledge
Locate 3 LinkedIn profiles that you don’t find inviting to read. What are the characteristics of these profiles that make them less inviting?
– Mike Nacke / I find this profile uninviting because of the unprofessionalism shown “The Coolest Guy In Nashville … Google To See It For Yourself!”
– / I find this profile uninviting because of the casual language and limited information
Gallagher, Brenden. ’10 Struggle Linkedin Accounts To Help You Feel Better About Your Employability – Can You Beer Me Now?’. Complex. N.p., 2014. www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/09/10-struggle-linkedin-accounts-to-help-you-feel-better-about-your-employability/