Discussion: Introduce Yourself
Tell us about yourself?
Name: Kelly Laing
Studying: Bachelor of Business Management, Specialising in Events
What experience do you have with Digital Communications?
I have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr and LinkedIn account.
Questions: Blog Traffic
- What is SEO and why is it important?
– Search Engine Optimisation / increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine.
- How can blogs help with SEO?
– When they’re active it will bring new people and search engines love new updates; a blog cannot be stagnant because it will become irrelevant.
- How do you choose what to write about for SEO purposes?
– Understand your audience and what they would type into a search engine / keywords from the blog that will lead people to it and cause activity.
- What is a CMS and what are the advantages of using them?
– Content Management System / a computer application that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, organizing, deleting as well as maintenance from a central interface. Such systems of content management provide procedures to manage workflow in a collaborative environment.
Discussion: Blog Analysis
What blogs do you follow and why?
http://www.zoella.co.uk – Zoella is my favourite active internet user because her posts engage my interests (lifestyle, health, design, beauty and fashion).
http://musicfeeds.com.au – Music Feeds is constantly keeping myself up to date with music news.
http://fasterlouder.com.au – Another music blog that uploads interesting interviews and quick reads on artists I favour.
Locate 3 websites that you think exhibit good web design. Make a list of characteristics that you think exhibit good design.
- IKEA – ideas, categorised and detailed information on products
- ASOS – discounts, weekly newsletter and models for each product
- Instagram – easy to use, interactive and global
Locate 3 websites that you think exhibit poor web design. Make a list of characteristics that you think exhibit poor design.
- Wikipedia – unreliable information, dull design and large chunks of writing
- Indeed – dull design and doesn’t engage
- Pizza Hut – doesn’t always recognise address